It is the mausoleum of Mustafa Kemal Atatürk, the leader of the Turkish War of Independence and the founder and first president of the Republic of Turkey. Anıtkabir, is placing on a glorious hill called Anıttepe. Archeological excavations unearthed artifacts belonging to the Phrygian civilization, which were put on display in the Museum of Anatolian Civilizations, also in Ankara. The mausoleum also has a museum which Atatürk’s personal items, his wardrobe, and some of the gifts presented to him are on displaying. Atatürk’s medals, decorations and some personal items donated to the museum by his adopted children are also exhibited in the museum. It is open to visitors everyday.
Etnography Museum of Ankara:
Museum of ethnography dedicated to the cultures of historic and current civilizations frequently Seljuq and Ottoman artefacts that flourished in Turkey.
Museum of Anatolian Civilizations:
The museum is located on the south side of Ankara Castle in the Atpazarı area in Ankara. It consists of the restored Ottoman Mahmut Paşa bazaar storage building, and the Kurşunlu Han. Today with its unique exhibitions the museum is one of the best museums worldwide. The artefacts exhibited chronologically from the Paleolithic Age to Seljuqian Period.
State Art and Sculpture Museum:
It is a museum dedicated to fine arts and sculpture in Ankara and also, located very close to Ethnography Museum. The museum is center of art where the most outstanding works of the artists who played important roles in the development of Turkish painting and sculpture are exhibited.
Turkish War of Independence Museum:
The building continued to serve as the headquarters of the Turkish Grand National Assembly throughout the War of Independence in the Ulus district of Ankara. It displays important photographs, documents and furniture from the Turkish War of Independence. Also old prime ministers’s wax sculptures can bee seen.
TCDD (Turkish State Railways) Locomotive Museum:
As an open air museum it is placed near Celal Bayar train station. There are many historical locomotives and structures exhibiting chronologically in the museum.
Air Force Museum:
It is a military museum founded by the Turkish Air Force. It is located at the İstanbul highway, Etimesgut district. Museum is housing different kinds of air tools used by Turkish Air Force such as F-86, F-100 jets etc.
Çengelhan Rahmi M. Koç Museum:
It is the first and only industrial museum in Ankara. Housed in a magnificent building across the entrance to the Ankara Citadel, it is dedicated to the history of Transport, Industry and Communications, with additional material on Ankara and the founder of the Turkish Republic, Mustafa Kemal Atatürk.
In its long history the castle within Ankara used for defence and also for settlement that is why it restorated and made additions in the course of time excessively. So the citadel survived well nowadays.
Building date of the first phase is uncertain however it is known that at the beginning of the second century B.C. when Galatians came and settled in Ankara there was a fortress in here. Roman Emperor Caracalla restorated the building when he was in Ancyra during his Anatolian journey. Within the Roman period outer city walls were covers a broad area which also contains Temple of Augustus and Rome.
In A.D. 620 Sassanid Empire Khosrau II captured Ankara and destructed but in 627 when he defeated by Byzantines, city and the castle repaired. Empreror Contantine III built the outer walls and Leon III rebuilded the ramparts and elevated the inner walls. Ala al-Din Kayqubad I re-restorated the castle and in 1249 Kaykaus II added outbuildings. Also while the city was under control of the Ottoman Empire outer walls occasionally repaired. The former Anatolian Civilization Museum was first established as Hittitian Museum in 1921 on the highest bastion named Akkale. It was served as the first museum of the Republic until 1948.
Temple of Augustus / Monumentum Ancyranum:
Temple of Augustus and Rome was built between 25 BC – 20 BC on a sacred place which was used for local gods/goddesses after the conquest of central Anatolia by the Roman Empire and the formation of the Galatia province, with Ancyra as its administrative capital. After the death of Roman Emperor Augustus in A.D. 14, a copy of the text of the Res Gestae Divi Augusti (Deeds of Divine Augustus) was inscribed on both walls inside the pronaos in Latin, with a Greek translation on an exterior wall of the cella. The inscriptions are the primary surviving source of the text, since the original inscription on bronze pillars in front of the Mausoleum of Augustus in Rome has long been lost, and two other surviving inscriptions of the text are incomplete.
The building was used as a church in the late Byzantine period and eventually in the 15th century when Turks were invaded Ankara a mosque named Hacı Bayram added to its northwest corner.
Alike many Anatolian ancient theatres Ankara roman theatre’s stairs were constructed by carving the bedrock and also filling with unhewn stones. There are two parodoi (entrances for public) through the orchestra (the place where the chorus sings and dances) either side of the scene building. Also there are five doors on the scene building through the orchestra.
Probably during the Byzantine era orchestra converted into a pool which used for water battle performances and games. Also during this period interior of the scene building and the vaults near paradoi used for different activities. Perhaps within the late Byzantine period seats were detached.
The remains of the bath are on a tell site which was habitated in Phrygian, Roman, Byzatine, Seljuqian and Ottoman eras respectively.
The colonaded street, roman bath and palaestra are the roman phase remains of the tell. There are also some foundations dating to roman era. The bath were built and dedicated to the god of medicine and healing Asclepius in A.D. 3rd century, it was used approximately a half century.
Column of Julian:
It was erected in honor of the Roman Emperor Julian the Apostate’s visit to Ancyra in 362. It’s original place was near Taşhan however it transported in front of the governor’s office.
It was erected in 1927 on Zafer Square in the Sıhhiye quarter and depicts Atatürk in uniform.
Built in the 1970s on Sıhhiye Square, this impressive monument symbolizes the Hatti gods and commemorates Anatolia’s earliest known civilization. The symbol derived from this monument has been used as the logo of the city for a long time.